The Italian Ministry for Ecological Transition

A successful cooperation between the Italian Ministry for Ecological Transition (MiTE), previously the Italian Ministry for the Environment, Land, and Sea (IMELS), and the Lebanese Center for Energy Conservation (LCEC) started within the MEDiterranean DEvelopment of Support schemes for solar Initiatives and Renewable Energies (MED-DESIRE Project), launched in 2013. MED-DESIRE was co-funded by the European Union through the ENPI CBC MED Programme 2007-2013.

Based on the success of the cooperation between MiTE and LCEC, a technical cooperation agreement on sustainable development was signed on 7 July 2016 in Rome between the two parties. The agreement was intended to remain in force for 3 years, but it has been extended till 31 December 2022.

The objective of the agreement is to strengthen bilateral relations between Italy and Lebanon in the field of sustainable development and the fight against climate change.

Areas of Support by MiTE

  •  In December 2016, the National Heat Pump Project was approved aiming to promote heat-pumps for space heating and cooling and for the production of hot water in the domestic and tertiary sectors. The project includes a testing facility, standardization, technical guidelines and capacity building on the testing, installation and application of the technology. It also includes technical feasibility and co-financing of pilot installations, followed by a monitoring program. As part of this project, MiTE has dedicated a grant to cover 30% of the total costs of 30 heat pumps installations all over Lebanon (residential and commercial buildings). The remaining 70% of the project’s costs would be covered by NEEREA subsidized loans.
  • Also in December 2016, the MiTE signed an agreement with the Central Bank of Lebanon including a 5 Million Euros grant and aiming to promote a subsidized financing line for projects in the field of energy efficiency and renewable energy in Lebanon through the NEEREA financing mechanism. The subsidy will cover 10% of the amount of any non-residential loan taken under NEEREA, given that not less than 60% of the value of the project cover products and/or services by Italian SMEs. The Central Bank of Lebanon issued in February 2017 Intermediate Circular 451 covering the administrative framework for this subsidy.
  • Additionally, in August 2018, the Italian Energy Efficiency Home Appliances (IEEHA) Program was approved for the promotion of high efficiency Italian home appliances according to the European labelling scheme by providing financial support to the end-user. The IEEHA program tackles the use of energy-efficient equipment in the end-use sector in Lebanon and provides direct cashbacks to end consumers upon their purchase of Italian energy efficient home appliances.
  • Delegations of Lebanese companies have been participating and holding business-to-business meetings in ECOMONDO, the leading expo in the Euro-Mediterranean area on green and circular economy.
  • Italian companies have been participating and holding business-to-business meetings in the International Beirut Energy Forum, one of the most reputable and professional energy events in the Middle East specifically dedicated to sustainable energy issues and projects.
  • Training seminars on sustainable development technologies were held in Lebanon for Lebanese companies in the presence of Italian companies and experts.
  • Delegations from LCEC have been participating in the Conference of Parties (COP) of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC).
  • Delegations from LCEC have been participating in international fairs and exhibitions on sustainable development issues, including EXPO.